Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Shut up!

That's what Byron and I kept yelling at each other the week before Halloween.  Not in the, "Be quiet before I slap you!" kind of way.  More in the "I can't believe this is really happening!" type of thinking.  It had been about a year and a half since our last fertility attempt failed.  We have a period of devastation, mourning, sadness, and then it was time to pick ourselves up and move on.  We had a beautiful family, lets go have fun.  And we did.  Trips to the lake, snow skiing, vacations.  We were the Three Musketeers, enjoying life.  Byron and I also took ownership over our health as well.  Gym memberships, workout videos, weekend hikes, and running in the parks filled our free time.  Byron gained muscle and reached the summit to Mt. Rainier.  I lost 20 pounds and earned annual passes for Wyatt and I to Disneyland.  Though never to the extreme, we cut out alot of processed food in our diet, and focused on veggies and lean protein.  I became obsessed with food documentaries and paid alot of attention to what we put in our bodies.

Then Heavenly Father decided to switch things up a notch.  I was feeling PMSy but my period never came, never came, never came. I absolutely refused to pay more than 99 cents for my insanity and I went to the 99 cent store and got a preggo test. I figured it would say negative and I would move on with my life. Well, it said positive, which then I immediately said "Dummy, you bought a 99 cent preggo test. Its not right." Then I tell Byron and he said, "You dummy, you got it at the 99 cent store! Of course its not right! Tomorrow you go to Target and buy a $10 test!" So I did, it had 2 tests, and I took both. They both said yes. Still didn't believe it, so I called the doc office for a blood test. The nurse then tells me they have over the counter tests to which I reply, "Yes ma'am, I know, but I'm going to need an actual doctor to tell me I am pregnant or I'm never going to believe it." The blood test was positive too! We were in shock!  I think we still kind of are.  People keep asking if I want a boy or a girl, and I tell them, "I still am trying to get myself to realize I'm having a baby in the first place, there's no time to think about if I want it to be a boy or a girl!"

So, there's the story.  And it didn't involve a single pill, needle, or a patch.  Who knew?

5 comments:

Leigh said...

Congrats! I remember my SIL being the same way after they found out they were pregnant after 1 adoption, many failed adoptions and over 10 years of trying......total shock!!

Kristin said...

Sommer, I am so happy for you guys! The lord works in his own way doesn't he! It always seems that when we finally accept that then we are blessed with what we want! Congratulations!

Autumn said...

I'm in shock haha. I thought you'd been doing fertility treatments but just not blogging about it. I had no idea that pregnancy was a surprise!!! Congratulations on your pregnancy, you're such a great mom :)



PS My word verification was "fluckus" hmmmmm

The Odd Couple said...

YEAH! YEAH! That is so amazing! I still think this is just such an absolute amazing blessing and miracle. I think I may be as close to excited as if it was my news to share!

Kara said...

Sommer, it's Kara, Patricia's neighbor. I found you on FB, clicked over to your blog and just read your news. Congratulations!! What a wonderful surprise and miracle!!! I am so happy for you! I bet Wyatt is just so happy too. We REALLY need to get together sometime. I think about you guys often and would love it for Nathan to get to know Wyatt better. How are you feeling? Just let me know if you guys want to do something sometime.
kswanemyr@hotmail.com